#20 – US Post Office & Courthouse

801 Hampshire Street

The Quincy, Illinois Post Office and Courthouse was prepared and designed in 1885 by the U.S. Supervising Architect of Treasury at the time, Mifflin E. Bell. It was constructed of brick bearing walls and a limestone veneer exterior in 1886 and 1887 and enlarged in three separate stages, the last beginning in 1937. The architectural style is of French Renaissance Revival derived from the Hunt’s Vanderbilt House in New York of 1879.